Wednesday, August 17, 2011

08.18.11 - A Hamster's Wheel

That is what my brain feels like tonight!  A million questions floating in my head...Do I take everything I need when I leave?  Do I wait and get what I can in Addis and only pay for shipping from there to Juba or Malakal or wherever I am going?  If I can only take 44# from Addis to Juba, how does the rest get there?  Is there really nothing to buy for food or am I stressing over food for nothing?  Is there a cheaper way to get food here than buying the really expensive dehydrated food that I can find on line?  Just how much food do I really need for three months anyway?  What if I can't get out until May? How much food do I really need, then? 

I was sleeping soundly - for all of about thirty minutes - when I jerked awake to the feel of a rat crawling across me on the floor of my empty tent - only to find I had been dreaming.  And laughed as I woke remembering the dream before that - waking on my cot in my tent and calling out the window because a lion was curled up on the floor of my tent next to me and I was scratching his head....Like that would really happen!  My tent was empty because it was my backpacking tent and nothing else had arrived...
These little planes just don't hold much, especially when they
are chartered by others and bring my stuff on a space available
basis while providing relief aid to East Africa!


A real possibility considering that I have to leave it all behind in Juba and wait for MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship) to deliver it when they can - anywhere from a few weeks to a few months - depending on the space they have available on flights and when those flights happen to arrive in Akobo!

These are the things that are floating through my head as I try to sleep.  I have spent days and weeks trying to figure just what will I really need and making wish lists and putting things on them and taking things off, trying to remember all the little things I am forgetting like nail clippers and scissors and something to keep me busy in the long nights to come.

And through it all, I really do know that God is in control and God always keeps his promises.  I laughed as I read My Daily Bread for today...

In a world of uncertainty, our trust is in a faithful God who will always keep His promises.

Whatever trouble may assail,
Of this we can be sure:
God’s promises can never fail,
They always will endure. —Hess
Faith knows that God always performs what He promises.

And I know he promises to provide and care for us...and I know that when I put my trust in God I will not worry for he will show me the way.  And so I can rest comfortably in these words from Matthew 6

Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

God has a great sense of humor and timing!  As I went back to bed I began to pray for forgiveness for forgetting to ask God to help me.  After all, I know that He has all the answers and already knows my struggles before I ask!  Being the independent sort that I am, I just forget to ask.  Tossing and turning for a while longer I decided to get up and play on the internet.

A few clicks here and there and I ended up on the UNHCR (The United Nations Refugee Agency) - I didn't even know they had one!  A few more clicks and I found a map showing all the locations of the sub offices and dield locations in Sudan.  Lo and behold there is a field office in Akobo, or that's what it said!  So, armed with a contact button on the bottom of the page I fried off an email - this is who I am, this is what I will be doing, and can you answer any of my questions?

That done, I snuggled into bed at 4 am, and slept like a baby until the phone rang at 8! And, that my friends is another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment