Thursday, August 11, 2011

06.06.11 The Call that Changed it all...


The day began with an email from Del – Sorry, I may have jumped the gun.  The funding hasn’t been secured so he couldn’t invite me to be part of the webinar tomorrow – protocol.  I kind of expected that.

It began as an ordinary day that quickly turned extraordinary when my phone rang and I looked down and saw a 502 area code.  It was the middle of lunch and I answered anyway.  Sharon?  This is Celia.  My heart stopped.  It went crashing to the floor.  I knew the words that were coming next and yet I held my breath.  In the time it took her to say the word “Congratulations” I knew my life was going to be forever changed.    I have no clue how, I just know it will.

I am not sure I could even begin to repeat the rest of the conversation.    I know she said something about working with funds development.  I’m not sure what else.

Next was a phone call from Debbie offering her congratulations before she headed off to a meeting.  Next came a flurry of emails with documents attached that amount to a mountain of paperwork that has to be completed and returned as quickly as possible.  And the physical forms…I expected the physical.  I didn’t expect to have to have an EKG.  Panic struck!  How am I going to pay for all of that with no insurance and no money????  Ruth’s Place to the rescue!  They have a free clinic and will do the EKG – for free!  God is good!!!

I sent Annie a text “Webinar is back on”.  Five minutes later she was pulling up in the parking lot with a big grin and outstretched arms.  Just exactly what I needed.  After work it was off to tell Alicia.  She said she was happy, but I’m not too sure.  I know she’s not happy I won’t be here to see her babies be babies.

That breaks my heart.  I want to be here for their first everything.  But, I know that God is calling me to more.  I was working on a homeless presentation when I got the call.  I had started it with the verses that have called to me throughout this journey…

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Matthew 25:40
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

It seems like such a small price to pay for carrying out Jesus commands.  I look at the pictures of those starving children and go knowing I go in grateful response to the blessings I have been given in having all of my children healthy and happy.  I go in grateful response to the blessings of having such amazing grandchildren.  If I can give that gift to just one person, it will be worth all that I leave behind to follow Jesus.

And so, as I try to sleep tonight, with my head spinning in a million directions, I don’t know where this journey will lead.  I do know there will be hard days, days that are so difficult I am not sure I can bare them.  But I go in the faith that I won’t go alone.  God is with me every step of the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment