Monday, August 15, 2011

08.08.11 Leave it All Behind?


8 These were his instructions: “Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9 Wear sandals but not an extra shirt.



God said, “Follow me, leave everything behind and follow me”.  As I contemplate the list of things I will need to survive in South Sudan, I am pondering the question – “What if?  What if I left with nothing but the clothes on my back?”  Could I really do it?  Could I really put my faith and trust in God to provide for all my needs?  I am not sure, and that is a harsh reality for me.

As I look around my house and see all the things I really take for granted, just because they are “there”.  I consciously make a mental note – do I need it?  Can I live without it? “How much space will it take up, how much does it weigh?”  I wish I had the faith of the disciples to leave it  the all behind.

But that is just not possible.  I could and it would be very easy and make traveling so much easier.  It is not possible because of the burdens it would cast on those I go to serve.  They would rush around and make a place for me to stay.  They would feed me their very precious food and even that which was intended for their children.  They would provide for me the very best of what they have and do without themselves.  That is their way.

I am reminded of the time in Ethiopia when I jokingly held up a loaf of bread at the gate to my house and told the children with me that I was going to eat my dinner now.  About an hour later, there was a knock on my door and Abdi was standing there saying “My father says come to dinner at 8:30.”  I thought that was awful late for dinner, but I told him I would go.  I had just eaten dinner, but to refuse an invitation is rude.  So I went.

I entered a house swarming with the scents of a traditional Ethiopian meal.  (There is nothing quite like it in the world!) I was seated at the place of honor and the traditional hand washing ceremony was preformed.  As we ate Kes Korsa told me “You know my son, he yelled at me.”  I thought that was very out of character for Abdi, who is so kind and gentle, so I asked why.

 The story began to unfold.  It seems Abdi thought that small loaf of bread was all I was going to have to eat!  He had told his father they had to feed me so I didn’t go hungry!  Long after their dinner was finished, they had their cook prepare another meal, served very graciously by Abdi as his father and I ate, again!

What effort went in to that act of kindness!!  All the chopping and preparing and bending over hot fires.  All the serving and cleaning that went on afterwards.  The sacrifice of food!  I was extremely carful how I worded things after that!

I thought of that story today as I prepared my list of things to take and remember how humbled I was at the great sacrifice that was made on my behalf that night.   I am reminded, going to serve also mean not casting burdens on those who offer their hospitality to strangers.  I will make my lists, pack my bags and head out knowing that I have done the best I can to take care of myself with the blessings God has provided for me.

Peace,

Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment