Monday, August 15, 2011

08.02.11 Critical Global Issues Have a Face



One of the things we studied last week at Ecumenical training was critical global issues- the critical issues facing the world today – and what they look like in real life.  I learned it is one thing to read the words and definitions on a piece of paper and quite another to face them in real life.

I was exploring downtown Toronto one night when a young street hawker tried to issue me a ticket for man watching – he caught me on the video cameras above.  I laughed and we began to talk.  He told me his story.  He is now living in Canada again, but his journey hasn’t been easy.  As a young boy his mother stole him and took him to Russia where they lived in a camp (international child kidnapping, refugees).  After many years his father was able to locate him and bring him home. (rescue).   The are now trying to make a living any way they can (poverty) – he by selling tickets and stickers on the streets of Toronto.  As his dad opened the van door there were two pallets laid out (homelessness).

I am amazed at his resilience!  For one so young, he is so full of love and laughter and spreads joy and laughter to those he passes on the streets with his shouts of “Hey, Mister, you missed a spot shaving this morning!”  The men rub their fingers across their faces and you can see the smiles begin and grow into chuckles and out right laughter as they realized they’ve been tricked.  They continue on down the street as he says “Well, at least I made you laugh”.

This little bubble of Critical Global Issues reminds me that’s what it is all about – spreading joy and love and laughter wherever you go, wherever you are planted and no matter what your circumstances.  May God be with him!

 If you'd like to see my young friend in action, check out my facebook post...http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=259076827442143&comments

No comments:

Post a Comment