Friday, February 24, 2012

2/23 #2 What Do You Pray For?

 
My day started with the question, "What do you pray for?" as I sat to share a cup of tea at one of my favorite places.  It was asked by a young boy sitting across from me.  I gave him the short answer, "I pray for peace", and asked what he prays for.

"My future" he replied, waved his hand around at the women working so hard, "For all our futures.  We are our own country now". 

I asked the elderly man next to him, "What do you pray for?"  With a faraway, longing look in his eyes, he said "Our culture".  He didn't elaborate.  It is not hard to see the culture changing every day.

I asked the General Secretary what he prays for.  He laughed this big beautiful laugh of his and said, "You know, when all of this started, (meaning the fighting in Akobo), I prayed that you would pray with us, (not me personally, "us", the churches in the US), and you prayed.  The prayers are working.  Peace is coming." 

That just seemed like a good place to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment