Friday, February 24, 2012

02.22 - Ash Wednesday - Taking Lessons from the Catholics

You know, I have never tried so hard to go to church in my life as I have had to try in Africa.  Not just South Sudan, but I remember going through the same thing in Ethiopia as well. 

I know the local church members don’t mean to, they just forget I don’t know what their traditions are.  If they don’t tell me, I can’t do what is expected of me.  I want to worship with them.  I want  to learn from them and their ways.  But I can’t do it if someone doesn’t tell me when, where and how.  Now, that that vent is out of the way, I will get on with the story.

Today is Ash Wednesday.  I have gone to church on Ash Wednesday for as long as I can remember.  The Easter season doesn’t begin for me without it.  It would be like not going to church on Easter Sunday.  They are the book ends for this most holy season.  So, today I tried to find out if and when the services at “my” church are.  I called the pastor, no answer.  I went to the church office thinking it might be posted, nope.  I asked the General Secretary, he didn’t know. 

So, I thought back to earlier in the day when I stopped for a visit with Sister Sara and to pay my rent.  We were exchanging our cultures and what we do to celebrate Lent.  I told her I was off to find out if we were having church.

She held out both hands, took mine in hers, and looked me straight in the eye and said, “If you don’t find it, please come”.  And, so when I didn’t find it I did go.  I was standing outside the door covering my head when she looked up and the sun lit her face.  She was glad to see me.  She had save a place just  for me and was dusting if off.  She spent most of the service, fanning me so I wouldn’t be so hot.  

I think perhaps we Presbyterians (and a few others) should take a lesson from the Catholics, they do it right! 

When is the last time we had a place next to us, just for a visitor?

The service proceeded as normal, in Arabic.  Sister Sara made sure that I knew what the scripture readings were so I could follow along in my Bible.  Then came the sermon.  I didn’t understand a word, but that was ok.  I was in the presence of God and that is all that matters to me.  Then I heard the words, “I have spoken in Arabic far too long. We have a guest so I will switch to English for a three minute summary”. 

WOW!  Being the only white face there, I will admit, it brought tears to my eyes to think that the Priest would stop and summarize his sermon just for me!  Talk about feeling welcome!!

When is the last time we translated a summary of our sermon for just one visitor?

Imposition of Ashes…I didn’t understand a word that was said, and it really didn’t matter.  By accepting the ashes tonight I was offering up my commitment during this Lenten season to continue the prayers I committed to on Sunday.  But now, they have a new focus, or perhaps a more direct focus.  The words of the sermon that were summarized invited us to

                Go back to ourselves, what is not right within us personally

                Go back to our houses, what needs to be set straight there

                Go back, repent and set it straight during this time of Lent so that we can go back to God, cleansed in the glory of Easter morning

                During this time of Lent, we are all invited to focus, embrace Christ and to repent

                We should all be like the blind beggar on the road, he needed to see, but he only asked for mercy.

                And, that is a good beginning, start by asking for mercy….

Communion…I was under the impression that we couldn’t take communion in the Catholic Church, so I asked.  I didn’t want to do something that they would consider sacrilegious. So I asked.  Sister Sara looked at me puzzled.  She asked, “Who is your Lord and Savior?  You believe in Jesus Christ don’t you?”  “Of course” I replied.  “Then take it”, she answered, “It is His table, not ours”.   So, when it was time, she led me, hand in hand to the priest, who served me the bread.  And all I could think walking back to my place is “I am not worthy!”

When is the last time we led someone by the hand to the Lord’s table and invited them to partake?

Yeah, I think perhaps we might take a lesson or two.
 
So, as it nears time for some of my churches to begin their 12:00 worship services, know that I will be praying with you. 

My prayer for today is a ten finger prayer, or two handed for those sticklers who say a thumb is a thumb and not a finger…

1.       Thank you for the blessings of this day.

2.       Thank you for all the ways you have blessed my life and the people, the supporters and the churches that have helped send me here

3.       I ask your blessings on  each and every person in this room, and all those on my lists

4.       Forgive all my sins, seen and unseen, known and unknown

5.       Cleanse me Father so I am worthy to come before you

6.       Help me to keep my focus on you and the plans you have for my life

7.       Help me to go back to myself and see the things that need cleaning up and fixing, the things that separate me from you

8.       Help me go back to my house and set things straight there and mend any broken fences

9.       Lord, I come before you in humble gratitude for the opportunity you have given me to serve in this time and this place.  I am just not sure I am worthy of such a gift.

10.   Lord, have mercy on all of us…

Amen

Now, for the funny story of the day…It wouldn’t be a day without at least one funny story….

I was sitting after taking communion, and I mean this in absolutely no disrespectful way what so ever, praying and trying to scrape the communion wafer off of the roof of my mouth.  It was stuck.  It wasn’t going anywhere.  It wasn’t dissolving and there was no way to discreetly try to take a drink of water. The thought flittered through my mind, “has anyone ever died because a wafer stuck to the top of their mouth and expanded and cut off their air flow?” At which point, I was sure that God probably wouldn’t approve of those thoughts and perhaps I should be a little more pious and pray.  So, as I bent over to pray, in the traditionally respectful way here, feet flat on the floor, knees together, elbows bent, hands clasped over your knees and head bent, almost touching hands and knees.

 “This is my body broken for you…” as the words to our communion service rumbled through my head,  a giggle almost popped right out of my mouth as I thought about the wafer still stuck in my mouth, and my shoulder popped and sent a blinding shot of pain down my arm, I prayed, “God, this really is my body broken for you…I broke it in the car, the lady was teaching me to worship “their” way and pulled my hands up over my head so I could praise you with them high in the air, and I slipped in the mud and popped it again trying to not make a complete fool of myself.  That is three, is it enough?  Naahh, but it is all I have, so Lord, I am giving my broken body to you.”

So, now it is off to finish arguing with a footnote in my Bible.  I am going to lose.  I know it, but that never stopped me before!!

Blessings everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment