Monday, October 3, 2011

It's been a Double Rainbow Week!!

Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD.  Ezekiel 1:28

Haley Jo  meets her brother, Joe Powel Derington the Third
In my eyes, there are three likeness of the glory of the Lord in this picture - daughter Alicia, granddaughter Haley and brand new grandson Joey. And there are 8 more - my oldest daughter Christi and her five children + two son-in-laws missing.

To experience the miracle of birth is an amazing experience.  To be given the gift of being present for the birth of your grandchildren is truly a gift from God (and their parents for letting me be there and part of it).  These two little ones are definitely the likeness of God. 

They were never supposed to be here, and here they are, beautiful and healthy.  A real reminder that absolute faith is rewarded.  I am convinced that it was my daughter's faith that God would grant her wish for a child of her own that made these two precious gifts possible.  When my faith is faltering all I have to do is remember her and look at my grandchildren to know that God is listening and will answer in His time, not mine.

Not only was it a double rainbow week - I actually saw two!  One Saturday night after spending an amazing day surrounded by family - all my children, all my grandchildren and all my parents in one place at the same time!  That happens on a very rare occasion so it is even more special when it does.  Love and laughter, stories and sharing.  The only ones missing were my brothers and sister and their respective spouses.  I looked at all of them ranging in age from 5 days old to pushing 80 years, four generations.   As I stood back and watched, I realized this will be the last time it happens before I leave for South Sudan.  There was a sadness in that, but also a feeling of peace in knowing that I am leaving my children and grandchildren surrounded by so much love and support.

The second double rainbow happened as I was leaving for church on Sunday morning.  A beautiful, perfect rainbow, from end to end, stretched out across the hills leaving my house.  It's hard to see in the picture above, but the top line is a rainbow.

Words can't even begin to describe how brilliant the colors were, and the pictures don't even begin to do it justice. But, driving to church on Sunday morning, watching the rainbow and listening to a choir on the radio sing "Hallelujah" I was once again reminded how very blessed I am.


What an amazing week it has been!  A double rainbow week that reminds me of God's promises to us.  Here's wishing you all a "Double Rainbow" week!


No comments:

Post a Comment