Sunday, September 11, 2011

Not so different...

That seems to be my theme for today.  The previous post is not the one I sat down to write, this one is.  The previous post is the one that came pouring out of my heart as I sat to write.  Do you ever have those days when you start out to one thing but your brain takes over and you do something completely different?    That is what happened to me tonight.  So, I will try to go back to where I intended to go in the first place.
I was driving to a friend's last night about sunset. I looked across the road the sky was that orangy color it turns just after the sun has set, kind of hazy, smoke from the fires I suppose.  The cows were silhouetted in black, grazing at the end of the day.
It dawned on me, this scene wasn't so different from the pictures I have seen from Akobo.  Their cow's horns give a whole new meaning to the term "long horn", but the scenes are the same.

I was taken back to a thought I had earlier in the week, driving home from another friend's house.  As I topped the bridge a looked off to the side of the road, the field was a warm sandy color with mesquite trees scattered, waving their feathery branches in the breeze.  I thought, "Hmmm, it looks like all those pictures of Akobo.  The trees are a little different, but all it is missing is the grass roofs on the tukals..."

Maybe that is why I feel so comfortable going there.  It's not so different.  They have the Baro River, we have the Brazos.  They have fish, we have fish.  They have cows and wide open spaces with trees dotting the countryside and so do we.

Our hopes and dreams are the same - good health for our families and children, peace in our countries and neighborhoods, better education, enough food on the table and prayers for God's protection....
...See, not so different, and yet so very different in so many ways.

Peace,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment