Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jot Note - 2013-02-20

Sometimes I just want to jot myself a note, throw in a picture or two to remind me of the day.  Today is one of those days...

Hauling water and laundry started the day.  Nothing like doing both of those to get your blood pumping, but is was a little cooler, under 100 at least, so I thought why not...

Where I will use the signs for "teaching" tomorrow.
Resources are limited here, so we do what we can.
Then it was off to language lessons...today we did something a little different and translated the signs for tomorrow's women's group meeting from English to Nuer.  Usually, Elizabeth and I work on my veranda, but since they were already at the church, that is where we went.  I just love the men there.  They make me feel like a two year old surrounded by adoring uncles and grandpa's who clap and laugh and beam from ear to ear when I get it right.  Today it was a real party!
 While visiting at the church I asked two men, what do you see the biggest needs in the community are?  They told me...


(excerpts from a fb conversation)...


I had an interesting conversation with two older men at church today who told me the number one problem here is the war. They used to be rich men with lots of cattle and lots of fields under cultivation and then they were attacked, friends and familiy were killed and they fled to Akobo if they go back to the fields they will be killed
if their women and children go back they will be kidnapped or killed
we don't know what to do so all we can do is sit here
All the people are that way, they live in fear and there is no food to eat.
What can I say.
I just sit here and shake my head reading what you wrote.
Really sad.
I can try to teach the women, and I am doing a good job, but they can't learn becasuse they are too hungry, they are to scared and the are afraid they will have to flee any minute and they will not have their family with them when they do.
And I'm not sure there really is anything they can do until the fighting stops.

I was told earlier this week there is no point in trying to plan for the future, because they have no future.
12:00pm
I know. I couldn't say anything.
They are right. The women come, some are trying, and I can teach, but I cannot overcome those kinds of phsycological traumas


"Mud Stove" lady's house.
Directions were "out the gate, where the ladies live"...
 Then it was off for a trek through the bush...first stop ACTED to find out where the "mud stove" lady lives.  She made mud stoves for them and I want one too!  Elizabeth went with me, saw them and said I will watch her and learn.  I will make my own....And that is the way it is supposed to work. :)


The lady in the blue gown will go to the river
, haul the mud and bring it and teach me
how to build the stove.
Cost? 20 SSP about $4 USD



Next stop...dinner at a real restarant!  YEAH!!!
Yes, this is where we ate...That is my friends Sam and Dr. Carlos.  That is the wood pile behind them and the kitchen behind the wood pile with the cooking pots lined up around the fence.  Boy it was good eating real meat again!









and a beautiful sunset to end the day...

good food, good friends and that!  What more can you ask for?  

God is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment