Saturday, July 21, 2012

Community Building...


The Journey
07.20.2012

Earthen Hands Community
It has been almost a week now since we all came together and already a community has formed.  We were talking today about how building a earth bag house is more than the sand, gravel and clay that the structure is built from.  It is the community that forms in the process of working together.
 It is the silly moments, the times that we work together to overcome obstacles, the shared work and meals, the laughter, the singing and dancing.  Each one brings a piece of themselves that contributes to the whole.  Each one has a strength, where someone else has a weakness.  When one is tired from working long hours in the hot sun, there is another to take his place. There is the sharing of our pasts and our dreams for the future; our history and our cultures.  And in all of that, there is the bonding that forms a community.
That is what I will take from this experience that I hope I can carry to Akobo with me.  That sense of community that is growing along with the foundation and walls.  I remember the day the elders and I met to discuss the location of my new house and the women’s center and the great sense of hope and excitement that went along with it.  I remember the day I left and the expression on the builder’s face as he showed up with beautiful crayon drawings of what the house/office would look like.  The community building that has happened here is my dream for building our place in Akobo.
Just as the sun broke the top of the mountain across from me, I woke to the sound of wild horses calling each other, voices raised over the sound of the waterfall outside my tent. One from the right calling, the one from the left, answering; one leading the other through the underbrush, with a simple call of his voice.  A simple call that leads through the unknown, that is what has me anxiously awaiting my return to Akobo.
Besides learning to build a house, I am learning to build a community here.  The basis of our community is the respect we have for each other in spite of our differences in lifestyle and beliefs. Our finding ways to work around things that could be potential conflicts by taking time to listen and understand where the other is coming from.  Respect for each other’s joys and sorrows and worries.  A coming together to pray, each in his own way, offering up thanksgivings and praises, prayers for healing and wholeness for those we know who are hurt, sick, injured or hurting; praying together in spite of our differences in faiths and beliefs.  It is my prayer that some of that goes with me and the stories I can tell about our time together will help lead others to put aside their differences and come together in peace.
Part of building a community is storytelling.  I can’t wait to hear the stories that can be told in Akobo.  One person made a very good point when he said the problems in America are due in part to not listening to our elders and what they have to say.  The past is a good guide to the future.  The elders know the past and that is a good guide to the future.  As we were having one of our lessons about how to orient a house using the sun and the direction of the prevailing winds I had a flashback to the day that the elders were choosing the location for my house and their discussions about which way to orient the house and where it should go on the place they had chosen.  There were great discussions about how it should face in the dry season to catch as much breeze to keep it cool.  Then there was another discussion about where it should go because of the rainy season and how to avoid too much water as the rains come down and to keep the rains from coming in the windows.  There were discussions about the veranda placement to keep it shady during the parts of the day when the women would gather for lessons and fellowship.  There was much to be learned that day from the elders and I pray that I can continue to learn as we go forward.
So, as I go forward into this new day, I wish you well my friends and I will write when I can.
Peace,
Sharon













No comments:

Post a Comment